Monday, January 11, 2010

This past Christmas, I decided to start 2 holiday traditions:  

#1. Yearly Christmas Ornament
I realized that my family never got ornaments to commemorate each Christmas. Now that our family is growing, I thought it’d be nice to keep an ornamental scrapbook of our family through the years. I know other families already do this, but it was something new for us. Didn’t want to get an ornament that would totally clash with my mom’s Christmas décor – so I tried to pick something very simple and classy. It was a nice silver one that had crystals hanging from it and said 2009 on it.  It was pretty.  But my bad, I forgot to take a picture of it. haha.

#2. Red Underwear
One of my closest friends, Katerina, had told me before that she and her family had a tradition where they would give someone else red underwear during the holidays, which he/she was to wear was to wear on New Year’s Eve. Those who wore the red underwear on NYE would have good luck in the new year. I thought this might have just been a Greek tradition or something (since Katerina is Greek), however, I found out that many people in different countries and around the world practice the same superstition. Some countries say yellow underwear will bring you luck and/or money in the new year too. Anyhow, I decided that I thought this would be something fun to do. Normally, somebody else is supposed to give you the underwear. Since this is the first year for it, I bought everyone in my family red underwear. And by the way, finding red underwear during Christmas time – difficult! Go figure! I guess lots of people practice this tradition as well! Anyhow, Christmas morning when we were handing out gifts, I gave each person in the family a small gift bag with a tag on it explaining the tradition of wearing red underwear on NYE - and in each bag, was a red underwear for them to wear.  To make sure I was going to have good luck in the new year as well, I made my sister buy me a pair after Christmas.  lol. The entire family wore them NYE – I made sure – I did my underwear checks. hahaha. Anyhow, next year, we’ll keep the tradition going, but each person will have to draw someone else in the family to buy one for!


the red underwears i gave out and the tag i put on each bag!

2 comments:

KCB said...

I LOVE the red underwear tradition! That is too stinkin' cute. I'll have to remember this for next year. Thanks for sharing!

AviesMom said...

Joy you have a 101 too!!! Saw you on my blog just now. I triple LOVE this idea of the red underwear. What a unique and AWESOME gift!! :) My mom started the Christmas ornament thing when I moved out of the house for college. We take a Sharpie and write the year we got it on the bottom. It's a great tradition and we started it with Avie. It's extra fun decorating the tree now remembering on each ornament.