Sunday, March 21, 2010

So let’s just put it out there. I can’t swim. I know I know – I’m Filipino –I should be able to since I’m from an island right? Heeeeelllll noooo!  LOL.  Never learned how to swim – well, let me take that back somewhat. I was always one of those people who stayed in the shallow end of the pool and just bounced up and down in the water and moved my arms like I was treading water. But really I was just standing there… doing nothing – just trying to hydrate my body I guess while I watched everyone else jump off the diving board and swim in the deep parts while i was hanging back with the kiddies. So when i was 24, I had a gym membership to the local YMCA and decided I would take swimming classes there with Sheila (actually, I think I paid for her lessons so I wouldn’t take it alone…haha!) Anyhow, would have been fine – but we only learned the front and back stroke and started to learn to tread water. Sounds normal right? well, only problem was that it was in 4 feet, so we’d tread, and then stand up and be like, “okay, what’s next?”. After that class ended, I still had no more confidence than the first day I started the class. My fear of not feeling the floor was never dealt with, my fear of drowning wasn’t minimized in the least bit – because to me, I still didn’t really know how to swim. Sheila – would you agree???

That was like over 7 years ago! So fast forward to last year – I went to Hawaii and wanted to do many things while I was there, like swim with the sharks and the dolphins, paddle board, and surf but couldn’t really cause I didn’t know how to swim. I did get to go snorkeling, but again, I stayed in the very shallow ends. So I feel like I missed out on so much stuff I could have done there!

Anyhow, my sister and my soon-to-be BIL are getting married this year – in Hawaii! I’ve decided enough is enough – I don’t want to be the one just standing there in the water again – looking like I’m just a lifeguard to the little kids in the shallow end of the pool. I signed up for swimming lessons at the local rec center. I’m taking the Adult Learn to Swim Class - Level 1 one right now, which lasts for a month – 2x a week…but I plan on going up to Level 4. So far so good - i'm like the star student of the class – but then again, it only started last Monday so I’ve only had 2 classes. LOL

not an exciting pic but here's my membership pass to the Rec for my classes... 
btw...you don't have to be a Rec member to take classes... so the $ wasn't that expensive! 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree - I STILL don't know how to swim and that class gave me no confidence whatsoever... I might have to take a class again too if I plan on going to the Bahamas for the honeymoon! Shoooot... :p