Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Recipe #1: Pumpkin Chili

I love pumpkin (but not as much as my girl Kat..haha) and i love chili but i don't eat beef. Thought this recipe sounded interesting so i decided to give it a try. Here's the recipe that I got from allrecipes.com with some pics that i took while i was making it:

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds ground beef (I substituted ground turkey)
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup white sugar


DIRECTIONS
1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain.



2. Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes.




3. Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree. Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and sugar. Simmer 1 hour.

forgot about the sugar and chili powder when i took this pic!

so colorful!

PUMPKIN CHILI!
(the whole condo smelled like pumpkin..mmm!)



I had cut the recipe in half and it was still a sh*tload of chili. Also, i'm the type that never truly sticks to the recipe so i used dark red kidney beans and light red kidney beans and i added corn and a little more pumpkin than what they asked for. The chili turned out to be good, but i think i need to tweek the recipe a bit to my liking.

1 comments:

Roselyn said...

I'm going to try this recipe...we have a chili cook-off later on this month...I'll let you know how it goes. :)